Sunday, March 18, 2007

Inaugural Post

I'm not sure how long I'll be keeping up with this, but here it goes.

Just got back from an eight hour session at Foxwoods. I won't be identifying where I'm playing just in case any of my opponents stumble accross this blog. I started off with some $1-$5 Stud until my game of choice got under way. I finished with 40 bets at the $4/$8 Omaha Hi-Lo game which features a half-kill. Today there was roughly ten kill pots total (in which the stakes move up to $6/$12 for the next hand and the winner of the hand is forced to post $6 pre-flop). A kill pot is defined as any pot in which there is at least $80 and no splits. Winning three of these pots, padded my stack nicely. Being only my fourth trip to Foxwoods, this was my second $300+ day, which is a confidence booster to say the least. With only 30 hours under my belt, my results are meaningless as I've only seen about 1000 hands.

Unlike my last session (a Thursday) which was comprised of nine knowledgeable players trading chips back and forth, today (a Saturday) was fueled by a huge fish who was playing 90% of his hands out of the blinds. I figure he personally donated an extra $100 to me en route to him suffering a -$300 two hour downswing. He went on to win most of it back, which is good for me because it keeps the fishies happy. There were many other fish at the table for most of the day, until roughly 10pm when most of them went broke. I was able to scoop a few pots, throwing in a couple of good promo-raises, stealing when possible, and ultimately cashed out when the table tightened up.

I can never remember any specific hands, but I can recall a few lucky scoops. One was catching runner-runner quads (2nd quads of the night). Another was on a board of J-J-x where I held K-K-J-x and my opponent had flopped a boat with a J. He bet the flop and I called, hoping to catch a full house of my own, or a king to give me a huge boat. I was last to act when the turn came and I still didn't fill up. It was checked to me (dumb) and I bet out to get rid of any low draws. Called by the flop bettor. When the river brought a king, I was faced with a bet and easily raised, taking down the kill pot.

Another hand near the end gave me a flop with a nut low draw as well as two pairs. The turn gave me a nut flush draw to go with my full house and low draws (counterfeit protected) and I was envisioning another $100+ pot coming my way. The river was one of only ten cards that could have hurt me and I paid off the big fish to make him happy he hit his miracle runner-runner broadway straight.

In the future, I'll try to provide more hand histories, but after eight hour marathon sessions, I'm usually too burnt out to remember them.

I want to stay away from Foxwoods for a bit so I don't come off as a total shark. I've met a few guys that will recognize me next time and I want them to continue to think of me as their friend and not their social security thief.

I should be taking a trip to Atlantic City by the end of the month, so I'll get to check out the action there.

No comments: