Saturday, April 14, 2007

Great Opportunity, but Couldn't Capitalize

The first hand I saw when I sat down at the Omaha table today had me drooling. There was the usual small blind for $2 and big blind for $4. The next guy posted a live-straddle of $8. Basically, he now gets the right to act last after all the cards are dealt, but it's a sucker move because he is forced to put in two bets before even looking at his cards. THEN, the next guy posts another straddle for $12. So before the cards are even dealt, there's $26 in the pot.

The best thing about idiots posting straddles and raising blind is that it makes everyone at the table loosen up and play like donkeys. Today was no exception. There were so many chips flying around and money to be made; guys capping bets on the flop and kill pots every other hand. Of all the days, of ALL the days, I am completely card dead. Nothing. I think I had maybe three legitimate playable hands in the four and a half hours I played. I had the chance to cash in huge, but couldn't take advantage of it.

I was going to head home early, being just about break-even when I was dealt a K652. At this point the table was playing passive and some of the earlier donks had already left. I thought my hand was suited, but when I re-looked at it, I realized I played a pretty crappy starting hand and probably wasted $8. The flop was nice. 922 with two spades. It's rare for someone to be holding a 9 and a 2, so the only hand that could beat me on the flop was an A2, which some could surely have, or pocket 9's, very unlikely. I bet out and was called six(!) times. A typical scenario in which at least four people are wasting their money. The turn was great, a 5. So I had what I felt was the best hand, and the turn brought a reason for people to stay in and continue to draw out. Another five or so people called $8 a piece and the river was a nonthreatening 10. With so many people in the hand, I wound up with a nice $120 profit. A good way to end the day.

Final results:
Omaha - 4.5 hours - +$150
Stud - 30 minutes - +$55
Total - +$205 in 5 hours.

No comments: