Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Live Omaha, Online Cash Games Update

I took a pretty big hit at Foxwoods last Friday to the tune of -$250 in 4 hours. I started out in a must move game that was short handed. Basically I opened up my starting hand selection and was seeing approximately 75% of flops. I missed every draw imaginable and was quickly down $100. When I got moved into the main game, there were plenty of regulars playing, but a few guys were donating chips. Again, I was missing draws left and right.

When I was down to my last chips, a donk raises preflop on a kill. I was in the big blind, so I called, along with about six others. The flop came QQJ. With 6 players in the hand, its very unlikely for someone to not have a Q. The raiser bet the flop, a few folded and I called. Note that since it was a kill, on the flop I had to call $6 into a roughly $70 pot. The turn brought a 7, and I lead out with my xx77. It was now down to me and the preflop raiser. I was fairly certain I had the lead at this point. If he did have a queen, I would be afraid of a low card, such as a 2, or an ace. I was putting him on a A2Qx type hand, or even better, AA2x. The river brought a king. Since I was down to my final $20 in chips, I bet, got raised, and the prick shows me KQJ5. Unbelievable. Great raise pre-flop guy.

Even if the table looks good, I like to cut my loses at a certain point. In the long run, this is pointless, but there's a psychological disadvantage to playing when you know you're down a decent chunk of change.

After next Friday, I should have a 100 hour update at the tables since I've turned 21. I want to play some $5-$10 Stud though. First of all, I' m starting to get burnt out from playing some much Omaha. Secondly, my goal is to eventually play in the $10-$20 Stud game. There shouldn't be a real difference in the playing ability going from the $1-$5 to the $10-$20 table, just people willing to gamble for more money.

No comments: